Saneeswaran Bahaman is attired in black colour the grain associated with him is sesame seeds , the flower - vanni and blue kuvalai ; fabric - black cloth; gem - neelam (blue sapphire); food - rice mixed with sesame powder are offered during pooja.
Offering an iron Pan ('bandly') filled with gingely oil is the best remedy for the devotees to be offered as gift to a Brahmin inside the temple premises is the desired charity to fulfill the Shani pariharam. Archana to Sri Sani Bagawan and lighting gingely oil Dheepam and chanting Sani Moola Manthrams are also considered very effect full pariharams during the bad periods caused by Lord Sani.
Devotees facing evil effects of Saturn must stay for one day and night in the temple vicinity. The most preferable day for visiting this temple is Saturday. Devotees should do rituals to attain total blessing from the Navagraha Lord Sani and lead a peaceful life in the following ways:
- · In the morning take a holy bath in the Holy water tank called Shani Theertham. Gingely oil has to be applied on the head before the bath and a piece of cloth like a banian or underwear must be left on the banks of the tank (not inside the water as people do by mistake).
- · After getting dressed visit the nearby Kalitheertha Vinayaka shrine and offer prayers and break coconuts after surrounding it over the heads three times.
- · Go to the main temple and light lamps with gingely oil (Nallennai) with a bunch of black Til (Ellu) which can be packed in a piece of cloth put in a Akal Vilakku (Lamp made of mud) (you can buy oil and 'ellu' called as sesame seeds or til and cloth and prepare or buy readily available inside the temple).
- · Then perform Archanas to Lord Shiva, Ambal and other Gods finally in the shrine of Sri Saneeswaran Bagawan. Chant few mantras and slokas of Lord Sani before his Shrine. Sit peacefully for some time and do meditation praying the Lord to relieve your sins.
- · They should offer Ellu Sadam or Rice mixed with sesame seeds (til rice) as nivedhana and distribute to devotees and poor peoples. This food item is a good pariharam for Lord Shani which can be prepared in the house and distributed at the temple. Read here for a simple recipe for preparing Ellu sadam here.
- · Pilgrims can further perform Navagraha Shanti Homas (a Pooja to satisfy and calm down the anger of the planets). Devotees can offer money in the hundi in the temple and donate cows to the temple. Devotees can also shave their heads and offer the hair.
- · Devotees can offer abishek to Lord Darbaranyeswara with milk, rosewater, tender coconuts, curd, Dil oil, sandal paste, sacred ashes (Vibuthi) and new clothes. Devotees can offer Sari to the Goddess Bogamartha Poonmulayal, light lamps in her shrine and feed the Yatris visiting the temple.
Moola Mantra for Lord Saturn:
'Aum Aing Hring Shring Shung Shanaishcharaye Namah Aum!'
Sani Dhyana Slokam:-
'Neelanchana Samapasam Raviputram Yamakrajam
Chaya Marthanda Sampootham Tham Namami Sanaischaram!'
Navagraha gayathri Mantram for Lord sani:-
'Kaga Dhwajaya Vithmahe Katka Hasthaya Dheemahey
Thanoo Mandha Prachodhayadh!'